Saturday 2 March 2019

PROFESSIONAL PRESENCE – WHAT IS IT ?



There are those of you who are on your way to work, already at work, those who have spent the entire night deep in study, and trust me, I know that’s not easy. So let me start off by acknowledging you. Wherever you are; at whatever stage you find yourself, rest assured I am writing this, this morning for you.

Schedule Your Free Consultation!

Is Professional Presence the clothes we wear, the way we act, the language we use, our vibration, the feelings we possess and emanate, or is it a conglomerate affect caused by all of the above and more?

Professional Presence is the result of confidence and calculated poise. It is emotional management at its APEX. The presence of a professional can be felt when they walk in the room. They do not have to wear a necktie exclaiming “I’m The Leader,” or even say a single word, it is felt in the air.

Some common misconceptions about Professional Presence include:

Only Leaders have to be Professional Development.
Education plays a part in professionalism.
You have to be educated to carry yourself professionally.
Professionalism is contingent upon how we are treated.
If a person is disrespectful towards me, I do not have to be professional towards them.
In the world that we now live in, it is not enough just to do our jobs. It is the manner in which we do our jobs that count. Brian Tracy speaks about how a person who works at McDonald’s will make $6.00 an hour flipping fries, and taking out the trash, but if he whistles while taking out the trash, he’ll make $7.00 an hour.

Is this true?  What do you think?

Have you seen examples of how some people get promoted into Leadership positions due to the way they conduct themselves? Ask yourself: What could change if I changed my attitude and presentation?

Do you work in an environment where there are cameras everywhere? Do people come from the outside of your organization into positions above you? Please be aware that Leadership, on your job, is always watching the floors, looking at the cameras, seeing your work, evaluating staff to see who is a candidate for what is called ‘succession planning’.
Succession Planning is best described as a process where a current staff member is identified as being a prime candidate for promotion into a higher position.

Question: Do you, or does your presentation on a daily basis, have anything to do with your pay rate, or your chances at advance within your organization? Have you ever asked yourself how someone else advanced in their careers so fast? They may have come in the organization the same time as yourself, they may have even come in after you… and now you report to them.

There are many stories about how this happens. It’s all about ‘who you know’, ‘you have to be in the in crowd’, and gets murkier, and deteriorates from there. You can use your imagination, or reflect on what you’ve heard. However, could it be something about how they dress? Conduct themselves? Maybe they accept direction better than others? Have you ever been late, and they always show up early? Do they always provide service with a smile? No matter the circumstance? Can you say the same about yourself?

Seriously consider these questions, and what you have read here today, and complete the following evaluation of your Professional Presence. Then think critically about actions you can take immediately to facilitate change in your life, and your career. Thank you for your time and attention and I know, the serious consideration, and then actions based on the questions can radically change your life and results in all areas.

Are there things that I could do to be perceived as more of a team player?
Do I always use the correct language on my job?
Do I act the same way when people are watching me, as when I think no one is looking?
Have people been hired after me, and promoted before me?
If I was my Supervisor how would I rate my own performance?
Would I hire a worker like myself?
Would I be pleased to be my client?
Are there workers who outperform me?

What are the actions I can take now to better serve my clients, and my organization?
Could I be more productive, and professional coaching services , if I really wanted to?
The answer to the last question is almost always a resounding yes, so now I would like for you to pose a question to yourself.

Why wouldn’t I want to?

If you need help answering that question, or any of the others above, let’s talk! Your ability to rise to the next level is directly tied to this, and facing these questions with honesty and accountability may be just the thing you need to be the best you that you can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment